- 1 How do you display a European mount?
- 2 What’s the best way to do a European mount?
- 3 How long do you boil a deer skull for European mount?
- 4 How do you mount an antler with a skull cap?
- 5 How do you hang deer antlers without a skull plate?
- 6 Can you screw into deer antlers?
- 7 How do you seal a skull mount?
- 8 Where do you hang taxidermy?
How do you display a European mount?
So let’s get the basics out of the way first. Typically a european deer mount is simply hung on the wall via a nail or screw that goes in the occipital foramen (the hole in the back of the head). Or, you can just display your skull mount on a desk or counter.
What’s the best way to do a European mount?
How To Make a European Mount
- Remove the skin from the skull.
- Gently boil the skull in saltwater for about 2 hours and check it.
- After you’ve picked some of the meat off, put the skull back in the pot for an hour or so.
- I use an electric power washer (a garden hose with high speed nozzle will work) to blast the meat and soft tissue off the skull.
How long do you boil a deer skull for European mount?
When you ‘ve got as much tissue out as possible, cover the skull — not the antlers — with water and a few tablespoons of Amway dishwashing powder or its equivalent. Boil or, better yet, simmer the skull for about 1-1/2 hours (less for a small deer, as too much boiling can loosen the fragile bone connections).
How do you mount an antler with a skull cap?
Then, I’ll cover each in more detail.
- Cut off the antlers.
- Remove the hide from the skull cap ( skull plate)
- Clean the skull cap.
- Attach or make a “cover” for the skull plate.
- Attach the antlers to a plaque.
- Hang & Enjoy!
How do you hang deer antlers without a skull plate?
Drill a hole in the center of the antler bases and attach them from the under side with a couple screws. Then you can do the wood putty or plaster thing around the wood and skull of both of them to match and cover with leather or felt..
Can you screw into deer antlers?
To mount your own antlers into a plaque, first plan out where they will be attached, and mark the spot where you need to drill. So, go ahead and drill into the antler. But it depends on how strong you are, how much pressure you can put in the drill, and how good your drill & drill bit are. Just don’t give up.
How do you seal a skull mount?
The best for sealing is Polycrylic clear satin spray. Just use one light coat. I hold the skull by the rack and do it by hand. It helps to rotate as you spray and Continue shortly afterwards.
Where do you hang taxidermy?
Most people hang taxidermy in a grand entrance, or over a fireplace in a family room or living room setting, Taylor says. “It tends to be a focal point,” Gray echoes.