- 1 How do you prepare a deer head for a European mount?
- 2 Where do you cut a deer’s head for a European mount?
- 3 How do you make a European skull mount?
- 4 Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
- 5 How much does a European deer mount cost?
- 6 How do you seal a European mount?
- 7 How do you whiten a deer skull with baking soda?
- 8 How much is a mounted deer head worth?
How do you prepare a deer head for a European mount?
How To Make a European Mount
- Remove the skin from the skull.
- Gently boil the skull in saltwater for about 2 hours and check it.
- After you’ve picked some of the meat off, put the skull back in the pot for an hour or so.
- I use an electric power washer (a garden hose with high speed nozzle will work) to blast the meat and soft tissue off the skull.
Where do you cut a deer’s head for a European mount?
Cut a line to the bone from the back of the skull over the top of the nose to the mouth. Cut to the bone around each antler. Cut a line joining the cut from each antler to the cut between them.
How do you make a European skull mount?
- Step 1: First, remove the hide, eyes and flesh from the skull with a sharp knife, and take extra care to pry the hide from the base of each antler – a flathead screwdriver works great.
- Step 2: Next, fill your pot with water and place it on the lit burner.
- Step 3: Place the skull in the pot and let it sit for 1-2 hours.
Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
Easiest Way to Clean a Deer Skull: Part 1. The European Mounts are gaining popularity. You can bury the skull. Or you soak the skull in warm water for about a month (Maceration).
How much does a European deer mount cost?
North American Species
|Deer – Mule Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Deer – Whitetail Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Elk Add $50 if lower jaw is included||$325|
|Pronghorn Antelope Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Wild Boar / Domestic Hog||$199|
How do you seal a European mount?
The best for sealing is Polycrylic clear satin spray. Just use one light coat. I hold the skull by the rack and do it by hand. It helps to rotate as you spray and Continue shortly afterwards.
How do you whiten a deer skull with baking soda?
Baking soda works wonders at finalizing the skull. Bring the water to a boil once again and dial it back to a simmer. Leave the skull in for another 45 minutes to an hour. After this round, at least 90% of the meat should be off the skull.
How much is a mounted deer head worth?
The long story short is you should expect to pay a minimum of $500 for a quality deer mount, and don’t be surprised if that figure pushes to $600 or more.