- 1 How do you prepare a deer head for a European mount?
- 2 How do you make a European skull mount?
- 3 Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
- 4 How much does a European deer mount cost?
- 5 What to use to whiten a European mount?
- 6 How do you seal a European mount?
- 7 How much is a mounted deer head worth?
- 8 How big should a deer be to mount it?
- 9 How long to boil European mount?
- 10 How do you mount an antler without a skull?
How do you prepare a deer head for a European mount?
How To Make a European Mount
- Remove the skin from the skull.
- Gently boil the skull in saltwater for about 2 hours and check it.
- After you’ve picked some of the meat off, put the skull back in the pot for an hour or so.
- I use an electric power washer (a garden hose with high speed nozzle will work) to blast the meat and soft tissue off the skull.
How do you make a European skull mount?
- Step 1: First, remove the hide, eyes and flesh from the skull with a sharp knife, and take extra care to pry the hide from the base of each antler – a flathead screwdriver works great.
- Step 2: Next, fill your pot with water and place it on the lit burner.
- Step 3: Place the skull in the pot and let it sit for 1-2 hours.
Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
Easiest Way to Clean a Deer Skull: Part 1. The European Mounts are gaining popularity. You can boil and/or pressure wash the flesh and brains off of the skull. You can bury the skull.
How much does a European deer mount cost?
North American Species
|Deer – Mule Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Deer – Whitetail Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Elk Add $50 if lower jaw is included||$325|
|Pronghorn Antelope Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Wild Boar / Domestic Hog||$199|
What to use to whiten a European mount?
You can buy powders that you mix with water and brush onto the skull. They don’t do much other than coat the skull with white powder and do a poor job of actually whitening the bone. Hydrogen peroxide is the way to go.
How do you seal a European mount?
The best for sealing is Polycrylic clear satin spray. Just use one light coat. I hold the skull by the rack and do it by hand. It helps to rotate as you spray and Continue shortly afterwards.
How much is a mounted deer head worth?
The long story short is you should expect to pay a minimum of $500 for a quality deer mount, and don’t be surprised if that figure pushes to $600 or more.
How big should a deer be to mount it?
RE: what is the right size to mount a deer My honest opiion is any buck you shoot SHOULD be a mounter. If you shoot it mount it, if it isn’t worth $400.00, don’t shoot it. That is what alot of the hunters in my area practice.
How long to boil European mount?
When you’ve got as much tissue out as possible, cover the skull — not the antlers — with water and a few tablespoons of Amway dishwashing powder or its equivalent. Boil or, better yet, simmer the skull for about 1-1/2 hours (less for a small deer, as too much boiling can loosen the fragile bone connections).
How do you mount an antler without a skull?
Drill a hole in the center of the antler bases and attach them from the under side with a couple screws. Then you can do the wood putty or plaster thing around the wood and skull of both of them to match and cover with leather or felt..