- 1 What country led the way in European exploration at first?
- 2 Which 2 countries led the way in European exploration?
- 3 Which was a major cause of European exploration?
- 4 What were the political and economic reasons for exploration?
- 5 Which country led the way in exploration?
- 6 Was European exploration Good or bad?
- 7 Which was an immediate result of the European age of exploration?
- 8 What new technology was used in exploration?
- 9 Why did Spain and Portugal lead the way in exploration?
- 10 What are the 6 reasons for European exploration?
- 11 What were the major causes of European exploration quizlet?
- 12 What were the benefits of European exploration?
- 13 What are some economic factors that led to exploration of the New World?
- 14 What are 3 reasons for colonization?
- 15 Why did Europe develop empires?
What country led the way in European exploration at first?
The first circumnavigation of the globe was led by Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan, who was charged with finding a Spanish route to the Moluccas. He was killed on Mactan Island in 1521, but the expedition returned to Spain under the command of Juan Sebastián del Cano.
Which 2 countries led the way in European exploration?
What two nations led the way during the Age of Exploration? Portugal + Spain.
Which was a major cause of European exploration?
There are three main reasons for European Exploration. Them being for the sake of their economy, religion and glory. They wanted to improve their economy for instance by acquiring more spices, gold, and better and faster trading routes. Also, they really believed in the need to spread their religion, Christianity.
What were the political and economic reasons for exploration?
Wealth, national pride, and religious and political freedom were the main causes of exploration and colonization. First, the primary aim of exploration was to find an alternative route by sea to the riches of the East. In the 1400s, European nations were using trade to gain wealth.
Which country led the way in exploration?
Portugal, the western-most European country, was one of the primary players in the European Age of Discovery and Exploration. Under the leadership of Prince Henry the Navigator, Portugal took the principal role during most of the fifteenth century in searching for a route to Asia by sailing south around Africa.
Was European exploration Good or bad?
European Exploration had observed positive impacts in the areas of trade, economy and politics. New trade routes: European exploration opened new ways of trade to Asia as well as India, that helped other nations to source products quickly and make high profits.
Which was an immediate result of the European age of exploration?
Which was an immediate result of the European Age of Exploration? Islamic culture spread across Africa and Asia. European influence spread to the Western Hemisphere. His calculations of the distance between Europe and Asia became the basis for our modern maps.
What new technology was used in exploration?
The five major advancements of the Age of Exploration were the astrolabe, magnetic compass, caravel, sextant and Mercator’s projection.
Why did Spain and Portugal lead the way in exploration?
During the fifteenth century, Spain hoped to gain advantage over its rival, Portugal. Their goals were to expand Catholicism and to gain a commercial advantage over Portugal. To those ends, Ferdinand and Isabella sponsored extensive Atlantic exploration.
What are the 6 reasons for European exploration?
Terms in this set ( 6 )
- Reason 1. Wealth-gold/silver.
- Reason 2. Religious Freedom (Pilgrims, Puritans, quakers)
- Reason 3. Mercantilism ($$$) from trade, land sales, and fishing.
- Reason 4. Expand Trade.
- Reason 5. Political Freedom.
- Reason 6. Home for debtors/criminals.
What were the major causes of European exploration quizlet?
Terms in this set (10)
- Causes of Exploration. • Desire for wealth from trade.
- Trade Routes. • Crusades opened up the Far East using the Middle East.
- European Spice Trade.
- New Technology. • New ships – Caravel.
- European Exploration. • Portugal.
- Mercantilism. • Colonies exist to make profit for European country.
What were the benefits of European exploration?
The discovery of new resources very well helped Europe prosper. Many new resources of food such as the potato helped Europe live a better life. New traces of silver were found along South America which contributed to the factor of economic prosperity.
What are some economic factors that led to exploration of the New World?
Economic competition with Portugal influenced Spain to sponsor Christopher Columbus and others to explore the unmapped lands in the New World. When it came to money, countries wanted a cheaper route to Asia, but they also hoped to get rich finding gold and silver in unclaimed lands!
What are 3 reasons for colonization?
Historians generally recognize three motives for European exploration and colonization in the New World: God, gold, and glory.
Why did Europe develop empires?
In the 15th century, Europe sought to expand trade routes to find new sources of wealth and bring Christianity to the East and any newly found lands. This European Age of Discovery saw the rise of colonial empires on a global scale, building a commercial network that connected Europe, Asia, Africa, and the New World.