- 1 How do you make a plaque for a European mount?
- 2 How long to boil skull for European mount?
- 3 How do you attach a European mount elk to a plaque?
- 4 How do you display a European mount?
- 5 How do you mount an antler with a skull cap?
- 6 Can you over boil a European mount?
- 7 Can you drill into a deer skull?
- 8 How do you install shed antlers?
How do you make a plaque for a European mount?
How to Build a European Mount Plaque
- Step 1: Trace a Pattern. First, get a board that is about three quarters of an inch thick, and is big enough to cut out three shapes.
- Step 2: Cut Out the Shapes.
- Step 3: Router the Pieces.
- Step 4: Stain and Clearcoat.
- Step 5: Mark and Drill.
- Step 6: Putting the Pieces Together.
How long to boil skull for European mount?
When you’ve got as much tissue out as possible, cover the skull — not the antlers — with water and a few tablespoons of Amway dishwashing powder or its equivalent. Boil or, better yet, simmer the skull for about 1-1/2 hours (less for a small deer, as too much boiling can loosen the fragile bone connections).
How do you attach a European mount elk to a plaque?
drill hole through the plaque. then attach the butterfly portion to the bolt and stick that into the large hole on the back of the skull and it will open up. Then you can just tighten the bolt until the skull is snug on the plaque.
How do you display a European mount?
So let’s get the basics out of the way first. Typically a european deer mount is simply hung on the wall via a nail or screw that goes in the occipital foramen (the hole in the back of the head). Or, you can just display your skull mount on a desk or counter.
How do you mount an antler with a skull cap?
Then, I’ll cover each in more detail.
- Cut off the antlers.
- Remove the hide from the skull cap ( skull plate)
- Clean the skull cap.
- Attach or make a “cover” for the skull plate.
- Attach the antlers to a plaque.
- Hang & Enjoy!
Can you over boil a European mount?
Boiling the skull will greatly increase the odds that your skull will become brittle and may cause some teeth to fall out. If this happens you will need to super glue the bones back together at the end of this process.
Can you drill into a deer skull?
First off, you need to mark the plaque at the exact spot where the drilled hole in the skull will make a perfect match when you finally mount the skull to the wood. After you mark the spot on the wood plaque, drill it with the 3/8s inch drill bit only halfway through.
How do you install shed antlers?
You’ll drill a hole up into the base of each shed antler and attach them with the included screw in the kit. In about 15 minutes, you can have a great looking european mount with your shed antlers! Mountain Mike’s Skull Master european mount kit are perfect for shed deer antlers! Just drill, fasten, hang, & enjoy.