- 1 How do you prepare a European deer mount?
- 2 How long do you boil a deer skull for European mount?
- 3 What peroxide to use for European mount?
- 4 What to use to whiten a European mount?
- 5 What’s the best way to do a European mount?
- 6 Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
- 7 How much does a European deer mount cost?
- 8 How do you seal a European mount?
- 9 How much peroxide for European mount?
- 10 How do you whiten a deer skull with baking soda?
How do you prepare a European deer mount?
European Mounted Deer
- Step 1: Harvest Game Animal Legally. Remove Head.
- Step 2: Prepare Head for Boiling.
- Step 3: Cook Meat Off Skull.
- Step 4: Clean Skull.
- Step 5: Wash and Degrease the Skull.
- Step 6: Whiten the Skull.
- Step 7: Prep Your Mount Surface.
- Step 8: Drill Your Holes!
How long do you boil a deer skull for European mount?
When you ‘ve got as much tissue out as possible, cover the skull — not the antlers — with water and a few tablespoons of Amway dishwashing powder or its equivalent. Boil or, better yet, simmer the skull for about 1-1/2 hours (less for a small deer, as too much boiling can loosen the fragile bone connections).
What peroxide to use for European mount?
Or you can use hydrogen peroxide cream (30-40 volume that salons use) to wrap the skull in. **Never use bleach on a skull. Bleach keeps working on the skull over time and will eventually break down the skull. Another way to whiten a skull is with good old sunlight.
What to use to whiten a European mount?
You can buy powders that you mix with water and brush onto the skull. They don’t do much other than coat the skull with white powder and do a poor job of actually whitening the bone. Hydrogen peroxide is the way to go.
What’s the best way to do a European mount?
How To Make a European Mount
- Remove the skin from the skull.
- Gently boil the skull in saltwater for about 2 hours and check it.
- After you’ve picked some of the meat off, put the skull back in the pot for an hour or so.
- I use an electric power washer (a garden hose with high speed nozzle will work) to blast the meat and soft tissue off the skull.
Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
Easiest Way to Clean a Deer Skull: Part 1. The European Mounts are gaining popularity. You can bury the skull. Or you soak the skull in warm water for about a month (Maceration).
How much does a European deer mount cost?
North American Species
|Deer – Mule Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Deer – Whitetail Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Elk Add $50 if lower jaw is included||$325|
|Pronghorn Antelope Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Wild Boar / Domestic Hog||$199|
How do you seal a European mount?
The best for sealing is Polycrylic clear satin spray. Just use one light coat. I hold the skull by the rack and do it by hand. It helps to rotate as you spray and Continue shortly afterwards.
How much peroxide for European mount?
One large pot (a pot for deep frying turkey is about the right size) Pressure Washer. One small paintbrush. One container of 40 volume hydrogen peroxide.
How do you whiten a deer skull with baking soda?
Baking soda works wonders at finalizing the skull. Bring the water to a boil once again and dial it back to a simmer. Leave the skull in for another 45 minutes to an hour. After this round, at least 90% of the meat should be off the skull.