- 1 Why is it called a European mount?
- 2 How much does it cost to get a European mount?
- 3 What is a European mount in taxidermy?
- 4 What’s the best way to do a European mount?
- 5 How do you display European mounts?
- 6 How long does it take to do a European mount?
- 7 How long does it take to get a European mount back?
- 8 How much does a European elk mount cost?
- 9 How do you whiten a European mount?
- 10 How do you seal a European mount?
- 11 Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
- 12 Where do you cut a deer’s head for a European mount?
Why is it called a European mount?
A European mount is a skull with antlers or horns on top with no hair or skin attached to the skull. The name “ Euro Mount ” or “ European Mount ” comes from the fact that this particular type of display was popular in Europe.
How much does it cost to get a European mount?
North American Species
|Deer – Mule Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$149|
|Goat (Domestic) Add $40 if lower jaw is included||$199|
|Javelina / Peccary||$150|
What is a European mount in taxidermy?
Skull mounts are sometimes referred to as European mounts, western skull mounts, or western mounts. They are a large portion of taxidermy work. Only the skull of the animal is displayed, which will have horns, antlers, or nothing attached to the skull depending on the animal.
What’s the best way to do a European mount?
How To Make a European Mount
- Remove the skin from the skull.
- Gently boil the skull in saltwater for about 2 hours and check it.
- After you’ve picked some of the meat off, put the skull back in the pot for an hour or so.
- I use an electric power washer (a garden hose with high speed nozzle will work) to blast the meat and soft tissue off the skull.
How do you display European mounts?
So let’s get the basics out of the way first. Typically a european deer mount is simply hung on the wall via a nail or screw that goes in the occipital foramen (the hole in the back of the head). Or, you can just display your skull mount on a desk or counter.
How long does it take to do a European mount?
Actual time to complete a euro with boiling is a few days. Beetles is 1-2 weeks. Maceration (the method I use at home) is 4-6 weeks depending on grease levels. If I was paying a taxidermist I wouldn’t wait longer then 2 months to receive a euro.
How long does it take to get a European mount back?
Approximately three to four months; however, every skull cleans differently and during certain times of the year the volume of orders will slow down the process. We make every effort to return your order to you as promptly as possible.
How much does a European elk mount cost?
|Shoulder Mount||European Mount|
How do you whiten a European mount?
Cream/paste hydrogen peroxide (30-40 volume) method:
- For this method you shouldn’t need to cover the antler bases, if you are careful. But if you are worried just cover them up.
- If you’d like, you can pour, brush or rub the cream over the skull before you wrap it.
- I would leave the paste on anywhere from 12-24 hrs.
How do you seal a European mount?
The best for sealing is Polycrylic clear satin spray. Just use one light coat. I hold the skull by the rack and do it by hand. It helps to rotate as you spray and Continue shortly afterwards.
Can you bury a deer head for European mount?
Easiest Way to Clean a Deer Skull: Part 1. The European Mounts are gaining popularity. You can bury the skull. Or you soak the skull in warm water for about a month (Maceration).
Where do you cut a deer’s head for a European mount?
Cut a line to the bone from the back of the skull over the top of the nose to the mouth. Cut to the bone around each antler. Cut a line joining the cut from each antler to the cut between them.